From website IRS Audits | Internal Revenue Service
An IRS audit is a review/examination of an organization’s or individual’s accounts and financial information to ensure information is reported correctly according to the tax laws and to verify the reported amount of tax is correct.
- Why am I being selected for an audit?
- How am I notified?
- How will the IRS conduct my audit?
- What do I need to provide?
- How do I know if the IRS received my response?
- What if I need more time to respond?
- How far back can the IRS go to audit my return?
- How long does an audit take?
- What are my rights?
- How does the IRS conclude an audit?
- What happens when you agree with the audit findings?
- What happens when you disagree with the audit findings?